Title:
BARRINGTON FAMILY OF HATFIELD BROAD OAK
Level: Category
Estate and Family records
Level: Fonds
BARRINGTON FAMILY OF HATFIELD BROAD OAK
Scope and Content:
Before their dispersal begining in the late 19th century, the Barrington family papers at Barrington Hall, Hatfield Broad Oak, were partly calendared by the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts ( Seventh Report, 1879).
In 1886 many of the documents were deposited in the British Museum (B.M. Addit. Charters 28313-28637, Egerton 2643-2651) during G.A. Lowndes' ownership of the Barrington Hall estate. Extensive notes on the archive had already been made by William Cla yton (see E.R.O. D/DBa Z10,11; T/P 22-38), and much of this was edited by his son G.A. Lowndes for publication in Transactions of the Essex Archaelogical Society .
The Barrington Hall estate was sold to Mr. A.H Gosling in 1908, when Canon F.W. Galpin, the musician and antiquary (vicar of Hatfield Broad Oak, 1891-1915), removed the greater part of the surviving manuscripts to the Church library, where they remained until they were deposited in the Essex Record Office at various dates between 1939 and 1965.
Several stray documents, which once belonged to the Barrington archive but were scattered and absorbed into other collections, have been deposited as part of those collections.
For further details of the dispersal and re-assembly of the archive, see
Nancy Briggs, The Barrington Archives in Bulletin of National Register of Archives , no.14 (1967) pp. 19-21
F.G. Emmison, Reconstruction of an Estate Archive in Archives vol. viii no.39 (April 1968) pp. 130-132
J.H. Round, Barrington of Barrington Hall in Essex Review vol. xxxi (1922) pp. 1-5
G.A. Lowndes (ed.), History of the Barrington Family in Trans E.A.S. , N.S. vol. I (1878) pp. 251-275, vol. II (1884) pp. 3-54 (see E.R.O. D/DBa F4; D/DBa T2; T/P 22-38)
M.E. Bohannan, The Essex Election of 1604 in English Historical Review vol. XLIII (1933) p. 395

Articles based on Barrington archives and cognate papers
G.A. Lowndes, History of Hatfield Broad Oak in Transactions of Essex Archaelogical Society , N.S. vol.1 (1878) pp. 65-82
G.A. Lowndes, History of the priory at Hatfield Broad Oak in Trans. E.A.S. , N.A. vol.II (1884) pp. 117-152
Canon F.W. Galpin, Pigs and Pannage in Trans. E.A.S. , N.S. vol. XVII (1926) pp 1-9
(see E.R.O. D/DBa M2; D/DTu 239, 240)
D. Shorrocks, Hatfield Forest 1547-1857 in Essex Review vol. LXIV (1955) pp. 54-66
(see E.R.O. D/DB LI; D/DB T15,16
Canon F.W. Galpin, Household Expenses of Sir Thomas Barrington: 1622-1644 in Trans. E.A.S. , vol. XII (1913) pp. 202- 224 (see E.R.O., D/DBa A1,2,14,15), 1645-1667 in Trans. E.A.S. , vol.XXIII (1945) pp. 280-297 (see E.R.O. D/DBa A3-10)
A. Searle, Sir Thomas Barrington in London, 1640-1644 in Essex Journal vol. II (1967) pp. 35-41, 63-76
(see E.R.O. D/DBa A2, 14)

See also
Victoria County History of Essex: Bibliography sub Barrington and Hatfield Broad Oak

Transcripts or Barrington papers
Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Seventh Report (H.M.S.O., 1879) pp. 537-589
Clayton transcripts T/p 22-38, D/DBa Z10,11 (see also articles by G.A. Lowndes in Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society , N.S. vols I,II)
M.E. Bohannan, A London Bookseller's Bill, 1635-1639 in The Library Ser. IV vol. 18 (1938), pp. 417-446 (whereabouts of original unknown; transcript made by william Clayton but present whereabouts or this also unknown)
G.A. Lowndes, Inventory of the Household goods of Sir Thomas Barrington, bart., at Hatfield Priory, 1626 [recte 1629] in Trans. E.A.S. , vol. III (1889) pp. 155-176 (whereabouts of original inventory unknown, but see E.R.O. D/DBa E3 for similar inventory of 1632)
W. Notestein, F. Relf, H. Simpson, Commons Debates 1621 , vol. III (Yale University press, 1935)
(see E.R.O., D/DBa F1/1-6, being parliamentary diaries of Sir Thomas Barrington)
Arthur Searle (ed.) Barrington Family Letters 1628-1632 , (Camden 4th series vol.28, 1983) (B.L., Egerton Mss. 2643-2646, 2650)

T/A 364 microfilm copy or Barrington correspondence 1629-1643 in British Museum (see B.M Egerton 2643, 2645-2648)
T/A 447 xerox copy or transcript or Barrington correspondence 1643 in British Museum (see B.M. Egerton 2647)
T/A 367 microfilm copy of Hatfield Broad Oak deeds and rolls 1127-1637 in British Museum (see B.M. Addit. charters 28313-28637)

Stray documents in E.R.O. originally part of Barrington Archive
D/DU 472 Deeds of Hatfield Broad Oak and other parishes, 1537-1834
D/DHt T126 Settlements, leases and sales pertaining to Barrington estate in 17th century; will or Sir Chas. Barrington, 1712
D/DQ 14/191 Map of Barrington Hall manor, 1624
D/DQ 14/192 Map of Barrington Hall estate, 1766
D/DQ 14/38 Map of Barrington Hall estate, 1766

Cognate sources in E.R.O.
T/P 22-38 Research notes of William Clayton
T/G 81 (mf.) Genealogical and heraldic notes on Barrington and Simeon families
D/DCm L1 Papers relating to tithes of the Town Quarter or Hatfield Broad Oak belonging to the Barrington family, c. 1535- 1784
Admin History:
The Barrington line in Essex can be traced to the 12th century, one of their oldest Essex properties being the manor of Barrington Hall in Hatfield Broad Oak. The family also claimed to be hereditary Woodwards of Hatfield Forest. In 1566 Sir Thomas Barrington acquired the manor and site of Hatfield Priory, and in 1612 his son Sir Francis, the first baronet, purchased the manor of Hatfield Broad Oak. Sir Thomas, the second baronet, was a prominent supporter of the parliamentary cause in the CIvil War. On the failure of the direct line in 1715, the estate came into the possession of John Shales, and when his son John Shales Barrington died childless in 1788, it passed in the female line to the Lowndes family. When this line in turn failed their inheriting kinsman changed his name from Clayton to Lowndes.