Level: Category
Miscellaneous
Level: Fonds
DEEDS OF BRAINTREE
Scope and Content:
Deeds of messuage and public house called the Crown and former site of 2 cottages [demolished prior to 1806] in Coggeshall Lane, Braintree
Incl. schedule of deeds, 1645-1761, original deeds, 1761-1855, and sale catalogues (incl. inns called King's Head and White Horse at Chipping Hill in Witham, Reindeer in Black Notley, Cardinal's Cap and former Wool Pack in Bradford Street in Bocking), 1855, and notes, c.1800, that most of the `modern' title deeds were destroyed by rats, and, 1894, that the former inn had been converted into private dwellings and shops in occupation of Messrs. Alden, Amey and Bradley [whose names appear in Kelly's Directories , 1886 and 1895, as tailor, florist and watch and clock maker respectively in Coggeshall Road]; Abstract of Title, 1805-33, and sale catalogues, 1859, of messuage, cottage and dyeing house in Bank Street in Braintree, and note, 1895, of intended demolition of cottage and dyeing house in which grounds 'is a big Walnut Tree'; schedule of deeds of shops and garden ground [no details] in Coggeshall Road in Braintree, 1855-1923, property of William Bateman [whose bill-head as boot maker is among these deeds and whose business addresses appear in Kelly's Directories as 12, Coggeshall Road, in 1922, and 10, Coggeshall Road, in 1926]; copies of Probate of will of Rachel Hale of Wiston (co.Suff.), widow 1768 (proved in Consistory Court of Norwich (co. Norf.), 1770), Will of John Stebbing, sen., of Bocking, farrier, 1785 [mentions messuage and public house called Six Bells in Bocking], and Will, 1827, and Codicil, 1833, of John Clay of Braintree, yeoman [see D/ABR 34/31; mentions messuage called Chequers in Braintree]
Dates of Creation:
1761-1962
Extent:
41